Prep for Pyrographic Images

I am beginning a new series of pyrographic boxes.

Everything starts with an idea and then I begin to collect the resources necessary to render the images.

I had spent time on the Internet when I was working on my Raven series. I found other animals, birds, reptiles and amphibians that were thought to possess sacred or mystical characteristics. So, some of these are the ones going onto my boxes this time.

First, I determined which animals, etc, I was going to do for my first eight boxes. Then I scanned the Internet, my resource albums, my photos, and, whenever possible, drawings made through observations from real life -(but not often likely).

I then drew out the image how I wanted it to be seen on the box surface. I often outline the box surface and then draw within the box lines. This way I see the amount of drawing and detail I need for the essence and attitude of the animal to stand out on that box.

Next, I used the light table to ink the drawing. For the most part, these lines represent those lines I would burn onto and into the wooden box. My inkings are dark, as that is the way I want them on the box -remember I plan to add colour to my images. The lines, then, give definition to the burnt image.

Note I changed some aspect of the drawing. (The rabbit's eye is now open.) I can do this at any time as I rethink what I am trying to achieve in the image presentation.

Now for the challenge.

In the past, once I had drawn the image, I had an issue with transferring it onto the wooden surface.
1) For the most part I redrew from the original and thus every box is one of a kind. However, I didn't like all that repetitive work and sometimes the drawing turned out quite different from the original.
2) I taped the image to the box over graphite paper and traced the image onto the box. This method often left carbon I would have to sand off, lines were missed and the image was often too faint and made burning the detail difficult. Sometimes I could not follow the lines.
3) I have even added pencil carbon to the back of the image's paper, taped it to the box and then traced. Same issues as with 2).

This time, once I had inked the drawings, I scanned all my images into my computer. I can then use and reuse the images and resize them as I need them. My wife can also use my images in her work if she wants.

In order to get the images I want for burning, I placed the images I wanted onto a paper in one of the drawing or word processing programs on my computer and resized them to the size that would fit upon the surfaces I was going to burn.

Now, something new for me. I printed the images onto Translucent Pyrography Paper I had picked up at a wood show. ((Distributed by Thompson's Woodcarving, I had to let the inkjet images dry before moving onto the next step -burning the images.

Here is the first sheet.

Here is the second sheet.

Now, what I am going to do is cut out the image from the translucent sheet, lightly spray glue to adhere the image to the wooden surface and then burn the image through the paper.

So far I have the sheets printed and ready to go.

I will post how things go with the burning of the images once I get going. I know others have done this technique before, but I want to see how it goes for me.


Popular Posts